Source: Spicy Beef Casserole – Waitrose, January , Recipes
Time: preparation: about 15 minutes, to cook: in conventional oven, 2 hours.
- 700 – 800g diced beef
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 mild green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 300 ml beef stock, fresh or made from cubes
- 1 tsp mild chili powder
- 2 x 400g cans Chopped Italian Tomatoes
- 410g can Red Kidney Beans
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Lo Salt and freshly ground pepper
Soak the clay pot and lid in water for about 15 minutes, Meanwhile, prepare the beef stock and stir in the ingredients mentioned above, except the kidney beans, the salt and the pepper.
Drain the clay pot and lid. Put the diced beef in the pot. Add the mixture, and stir. Add salt and pepper.
Cover the pot, and place in a cold oven. Set oven to 218ºC (425ºF), and cook for about 1 hour and 50 minutes, then add the kidney beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with a bowl of long grain rice.
This is the first recipe I tried that was not originally meant for the clay pot, but for the casserole pan. It succeeded quite well, except it was judged to be a bit too spicy, but that was probably because I used actually 3 chilli peppers… So, don’t overdo it!